We Welcome New Authors at Queer Pack
We’re constantly searching for new, talented authors as we are passionate about expanding our offerings. If you are interested in publishing with us at Queer Pack, send us your manuscripts once you’ve read through the submission guidelines below.
Queer Pack is interested in writers who are queer and writing all kinds of stories with characters who are bi/pan/aro/ace/lesbian/gay individuals as well as trans, non-binary, intersex, and/or gender non-conforming people. Really, about anyone not conforming to heteronormativity and/or the binary as they were assigned at birth.
What books are we interested in?
We invite submissions of believable romances, mysteries, fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, and well-researched historical novels, plus interesting queer nonfiction, including biographies and autobiographies. We publish books in English only. Novellas (18,000 to 60,000 words) and novels (60,000 to 100,000 words) will be published as e-books. Novel-length books will also be published as trade paperbacks.
You can read about our current submission call here:
Before sending us your manuscript:
- Please don’t send us your first draft. Revise and proofread your manuscript thoroughly before submitting it for consideration. Correct any spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Include a synopsis or at least a summary of the plot and provide the word count for the entire, completed manuscript.
- Send us your manuscript as a *.doc, *.docx, or *.rtf file. Please send us your manuscript attached to an e-mail. Do not mail us paper copies. Any and all unsolicited manuscripts sent to us by post will not be returned.
- Let us know how long you have been writing and whether you have already published novels or short stories (and if yes, where).
- Also let us know why you think your book would be a good fit for Queer Pack.
The Submission Process
- We will send you a confirmation e-mail after receiving your manuscript.
- It typically takes our editors four to eight weeks to review your manuscript.
Manuscript Formatting Guidelines
- Indent the first line of each paragraph 0.2 inches. Don’t put an extra blank line between paragraphs. Don’t place hyphens at the end of a line.
- For scene breaks, leave one blank line; then, in the next line, center three spaced asterisk [* * *], followed by another blank line.
- Number each page (except for the cover page)
- Use smart (curly/typographic) quotation marks instead of straight quotation marks. Use smart apostrophes instead of straight apostrophes.
Own Voices and Sensitivity Reading and Submission Guidelines
Considering mainstream exploitation of marginalized identities by writers who do not share the identities of their most marginalized characters, we strive to centre own voice writers. This said, we will never ask someone to out themselves as writing as own voice. Please just know that if we are unsure if the story is written in own voice, this can mean your story may be sent through a sensitivity read. All authors will need to be willing to work with a sensitivity reader if the need arises. You can read more about sensitivity readers here: ooliganpress.pdx.edu/sense-and-sensitivity/
If your story is not own voice, please consider using a sensitivity reader before submission (this should be considered as part of submitting a manuscript at the point at which “it is as ready as it can be”). Be aware of the POV you are using.
Please send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.